rear of parish hall          parish hall entrance          lamp outside parish hall

After serving the community well for over a hundred years the hall was in need of a complete refurbishment, building and repairs. This was major work both to plan and to finance. In 2011 the Parish hall had a new build extension and total refurbishment - inside and out. Nothing escaped the builders and decorators - from a purpose built extension to house the ever popular pre-school group to the new look ladies loos. It is now 'fit for purpose'. The regeneration of the hall took several years to plan and a year for the work to be done. It was formally opened in May 2011 by MP Steve Webb and the Reverend Roly Bain.

Through the 1950s the hall interior was decorated with stuffed animal heads shot by the 'Salmon' family during their safaris, a far cry from today’s more conservative tastes! It wasn't until the mid 1960s that flush toilets were added when a mains sewerage system was linked to the hall. This came with work to create a new entrance door, reception area and corridor to the side of the main hall, creating access to the new toilets.

In 1977 the Silver Jubilee was marked with the addition of a side room extension to the main hall which was named the Jubilee Room. This gave much needed extra space to the main hall area.

The King's coronation was marked with the commission of a memorial lantern which was placed outside, over the double doors of the front entrance. This lantern is still in use today.


The Duchess of Beaufort

Royal opening 1901

"At last we have a Parish Hall, the want of which has been felt for many years." With these words the Vicar of Olveston the Rev J E Vernon began his description, in the Parish Magazine, of the opening of the Parish Hall in Tockington by her Grace the Duchess of Beaufort on October 31st 1901. The Duchess was presented with a bouquet of violets and lilies of the valley by Capt Henry Pomeroy and Mrs Salmon's infant daughter - whom many of us in later life would recognise as Robin Bush's mother.